Essex Yeomanry Cap/Collar Badge
A brass cap/collar badge for The Essex Yeomanry with two lug fastenings (east and west). KK1491.
Note: Kipling & King states this version was worn c1909-16.
However, Michael Wood's book on The Badges and Insignia of the Essex Yeomanry (reference 28/38) disagrees.
It states: "The direction to change the Guidon motto [from Audacter Et Sincere] was given in 1909 but it is believed that when badge 26 [with the motto on a separate scroll below the circlet] was sealed in gilding metal in 1916 this pattern was sealed alongside it as the collar badge (and the officers adopted it as a gilt collar in 1919).
"The evidence suggests it was not worn as a cap badge until World War 2. Both gilt and gilding metal versions are lugged.
"The badge was worn on the FSC [field-service cap] and general service caps, and also on the beret during World War 2 and after (for a period with a red felt backing for the gilding metal other rank's badge, echoing the slouch hat badges of the Imperial Yeomanry era)."