Tyneside Scottish Glengarry Badge
A scarce, white metal, glengarry badge for The Tyneside Scottish with a pin fastening. Wood 450 or KK2361.
Note: Colonel Denis Wood's excellent book on The Fifth Fusiliers and its Badges notes the 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd (Service), 29th and 33rd (Reserve) battalions of the Northumberland Fusiliers were the Tyneside Scottish battalions. It describes this as the third pattern badge, dated to late 1915.
Kipling & King (volume 2, p155) ascribes this badge to the 12th (Tyneside Scottish) battalion of The Durham Light Infantry, formed in 1939, and transferred later that year as the 1st battalion The Tyneside Scottish, The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment).
Wood further states this battalion, having been suspended in 1944, was reformed in 1947 as 670th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Tyneside Scottish) RA and retained its own badges.
He adds "It went through several changes of artillery roles and titles until 1967 when it became, briefly, a company of the 4th/5th /6th battalion The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. Having been reduced to a cadre in1969, it was disbanded in 1971."